November 7, 2012

A Blog About Blocks

I did not write 1700 words a day last week.  I'm panicking and I have no excuse.  Maybe I could whine and say that life got in the way, but I won't; I learned a couple of things.

Writer's block is rare with me, coming as the wind when it listeth, confusing and confounding me so much that this time I decided to blame my voice recognition program and reviewed the entire tutorial.  That exercise neither taught me anything new nor added words to my NaNoWriMo score.  Also, it didn't get A Murder of Crones, my new novel, written.

However, I browsed the Internet and accomplished a very important thing in my efforts not to write.  In Wikipedia I looked up a word I found in Tim Ferris's book, The 4-Hour Workweek.  The word is "dysphoria", and it means the exact opposite of "euphoria."  Wikipedia's article on the subject references a long series of personality dysfunctions which I can use in A Murder of Crones.  My antihero, you see, has a borderline personality disorder; he is not quite antisocial, he just wants to kill his father.  Now I have a new insight into his deranged mentality.  Thank you, Wiki.

I did another productive thing in order to avoid writing: I watched three movies in a row dealing with the end of the world.  The first one was the best: Volcano.  That sucker destroys West Los Angeles and includes at least two wrenching subplots; it does it skillfully, without confusing the audience.  You'd better believe I'll find a good excuse to watch that movie again.

There's a theory that says writer's block comes to us when we are unsure that we're about to do something the entire world awaits with breathless anticipation; in other words, writer's block is really a result of hubris.  Well:  my husband was an actor so humble about his craft that during his years as a beginner his catch phrase was "be ready to fail."  He later appeared in over 150 movies and television shows.  Samuel Beckett wrote, "Fail.  Fail again.  Fail better." and Beckett won the Nobel Prize for literature.

I'm going to try that. It might not work at first, but it probably will if I fail enough times.

No comments: