October 31, 2012

Dictatorial me

I plan to write 1700 words a day through the month of NaNoWriMo November; that's 51,000 words, a first draft of my next suspense novel,  A Murder of Crones.  I shall achieve this heroic feat--and this is not a commercial, I'm just enthused--with the invaluable aid of my sturdy, splendid, obedient and brand-new servant, e-Speak.  I'm using it right now.

e-Speak is a computer program that you, too, may pick up free from www.e-speaking.com.  For a mere $14, after you use it for a couple of weeks, you can keep it forever.   It works like magic; I strap on my
headphones, haul down the mic, tell it to start listening and to open Notepad, and then say whatever comes to mind.  If I speak 170 words a minute for 30 minutes (which, in the days of shorthand, was standard
dictating speech), I will have written 5100 words; if I do that for 10 days, I'll meet my goal without breaking a sweat.

If I am so well-prepared that I can talk for 30 minutes without thinking about characters, plot, the setting and the usual ingredients of a novel--just tell the story--I have it made.  And yes, I know I'm talking through my
hat; I have yet to dictate a single paragraph without pausing to suck my teeth.

The title I've chosen for this year's effort, A Murder of Crones, is perhaps a flight into fantasy; I have only planned for one murder, a crucifixion of an old man upon the gravesite, long abandoned, of a beautiful young
woman.  No crones.  In justification I can only plead that the setting I have chosen for the action is an old folks' home (expressed with more political correctness, a Senior Facility), and that most such homes are
populated by a preponderence of impoverished old women who have outlived their income.  So I have to eliminate some crones.

I have a very good reason for playing NaNoWriMo via dictation this year; speaking my spontaneous thought into a microphone is a splendid, unfiltered way to express my feelings about the situation I describe.  As
Steve Alcorn teaches, story is emotional: plot is physical.  I will blurt out my feelings and fashion a more coherent plot later, as I rewrite.  As you know and every Creative Writing teacher in America says, real writing starts with the editing.

I'm going to keep a log of this venture.  My dedicated reader(s) can accompany me while I find out which old crone gets murdered, why she deserves it, and what mortal disability she suffered from to begin with. 
You can learn which role I assign to each victim: sidekick, comic relief, gatekeeper, and so on.

So here I go: e-Speak, start listening.  Open Notepad.  I didn't meet my grandson until it was too late to love him...

No comments: