November 20, 2013

All about the best-laid plans

I recently ran across several short stories about Sheriff Earl McCoy, who is the Goodguy in Dead In Dutcher's Mountain. Then a funny thing happened to my plan for The Man from Xopec, it got shoved to the back burner.   I wrote the short stories mostly because Earl McCoy is another of several man I can't ignore, and he's real.

Earl McCoy (pardon me if I've told you this before) is modeled on a real sheriff I once reported on when I was a journalist.  The guy was good-looking, mid-thirties, single, fun, smart, and held the two most high-end degrees in two of the most difficult fields known to man: a Ph.D. in criminal justice and an M.D. as a doctor.

Now, this was in a tiny town in an underpopulated county whose most well-known citizen was Bigfoot.  Unemployment was criminally high.  Blacks and tree-huggers were chased away at the end of a gun.  Deadly family feuds lasted for generations and were still current. 

Me, I was fresh from Hollywood; cocktail parties attended by casting directors; voomy cars with license plates that said "13 wks" which meant the driver was an actor with a good contract.  "What are you doing here?" I asked the sheriff when I learned his qualifications.  "What are you?" he answered. 

So I tried to guess his reasons when I wrote that novel, and it turns out I was right; he was a home-town boy, an overqualified, big-minded hero. So I'm putting those stories about him into an anthology, and it'll be available as an e-book in a week or two.  Watch for it: McCoy, Sheriff.

The cover sports a photo of my fun, smart, good-looking, heroic son.  Sosume. 

No comments: